Aug/Sept Update

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Well, last post Ian was working on his medicals and we were waiting for our 171.

Ian did go and all of our medicals were apostilled and to CSS before March. We had medicals in our file, but the new ones were a bit more detailed just in case the MOE wanted specifics. CSS was willing to try with the other medicals but warned me that they weren't sure what would happen. We played it safe. I didn't want to hear it from the MOE and then have to go through 3 weeks to get the results back from the lab, send them through Tallahassee and then fly the papers over with someone to Moscow. Better, to just go for it than have a delay.

Feb 28, 2008 Carol wrote to tell me CSS had received their copy of our 171 CIS approval. We had already gotten ours in the mail. She was so nice and had their notification appostilled for us and sent to Russia for our files.

This was the time that our phone calls about regions started.
First Carol and I talked. I didn't care what was in our referral's parent's history. I just wanted her to be relatively healthy. No communicable diseases like Hep or HIV that the boys could get. No Cerebral Palsy or major disabilities. No surgery needed. All of this because I need to know my limits having a job and 3 boys to also care for. I have to be fair to her.

Then she chatted with Ian and I both one day for an hour! God bless her, I can't call again for a long time- I used my quota up don't you think.. sorry to everyone else who got a busy signal :)
Ian basically added that he didn't feel comfortable adopting a child with oligophrenia in the family history unless we knew for sure that it was caused by something that couldn't be passed on. This condition describes low IQ or schizophrenia in a person. The low IQ could be from environment or from a bang to the head or it could be genetics... if we didn't know what it was from, Ian didn't feel comfortable.

We also talked to Dr.Laure Miller. Who scared the heck out of us. She basically says they all come with very challenging issues and even if they do well as young children, as teenagers they exhibit severe issues. Ian was ready to quit! But, most of the stories she read described our 13 year old. He thinks he knows everything. He thinks he should be allowed to yell at us. And, it's his life and if he wants to get a zero on his homework that's OK. He gets good test grades. Heck, to him a B is good enough (it is good, but it is frustrating to us to know he could have an A if he put any effort into it). She is probably why Ian wouldn't adopt a child with a history. That being said, some of the stories were down right sad or frightening.

I think if I see her I will know. Frankly, I can tell a lot by data bank photos. I have taught preK long enough to know the look. Look for a sparkle. Look for engagement. If there is a blank empty stare- it is a learning disability. ADD is tough to diagnose. Most of the wild kids that can drive me crazy at 4 are totally wonderful children at 10 if their parents are structured and consistent. I just can't pick the ones that will truly be ADD. But, Learning Disabled, I can pick. They may even be able to memorize letters early, but when it comes to making connections- their eyes go void. It is almost like they are daydreaming while looking at you.

In one of our conversations Carol asked if we could travel March 24th!!! Wahooo... As everyone knows we would have gone right that minute if she had asked. (my husband would have been crying about the ticket cost..but we would be gone!) I was really hopeful!! I really wanted to have her home before the summer so we could bond. It would give me so much time with her before I started teaching again in August.
I was thrilled at the prospect.

I contacted Dr. Mouradov. His email is Svouradov@yahoo.com. He works in Russia and will visit the orphanage. Svetlana and he get along well and that was really important to me. A happy Svetlana is having a powerful force on your side. I don't want a Dr. irritating her. I also read reports from very very happy parents who used him, so that is who we want. I asked if I could bring him something from the states. He was hysterical. He said "we have all the same stuff from China as you" ..I had no idea how true this statement was until I went shopping. It is so hard to find things made in America!!! Even Florida souvenirs are made in China...

Sadly, when Svetlana went to register us there were no girls. We knew the other regions had no girls, but we were hopeful for Moscow. So, we watched other dossiers get registered and those families get travel dates. The family whose dossier went with Ana and Russ to Moscow with ours traveled last week. Another family sent their dossier over after ours and got the week we wanted to go.

I am happy for them, but I will admit, I am sad for us. Most of the people who sent in applications back in September are home with their children.

Meanwhile, I have spent a small fortune on her wardrobe!!! She won't wear anything twice. I have been making bows for her hair and I learned how to make ruffle socks. I also got an embroidery machine to monogram her stuff. We still need to get going on our addition. It will be fun decorating her room once it is done. Our plan is for her to sleep with us at first- or share a room with Aidan. We want her to feel close to someone. I wonder how she will do in a room by herself after always being around other children?? If she is a baby, I think it will be easier. But, if she is a toddler, it may be very scary for her.

I have also been listening to the Russian Phrases for Children CD. I think I am going to try to learn the alphabet and a Russian travel phrases.

I have gathered a list of questions to ask the director on trip 1 (only to help decide to accept the referral or not) and on trip 2 and 3 (things she will want to know when she grows up)

I am also working on packing lists. I have a big bucket in my closet I am tossing things in. We made her a pink bear at Build a Bear. Each of us said something. Of course, we walked out with 4 bears$$$ The boys had to have one too. We made Aidan an alligator before he was born. We each say something on his too.
The peek a boo baby book is ready.
We have the blanket we are going to sleep with and then leave her. IT IS PINKKKK (this only means something to my fellow paps with boys)
I still need to get disposable cameras and a journal for her caregivers to write stories about her in.

I also need to start shopping for gifts. This is the hardest part for me. Who knew everything said Made In China? I am at a loss right now.

1 comment:

Becky and Keith said...

We were one of the disappointed March 24th families too. :-( We're hoping to adopt a boy but it seems like the MOE has slowed things down for CSS. I hope things pick up for both of us very soon!!