Aug/Sept Update

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Why adopt from Russia?

For the next few days I am going to show you why I chose Russia. The honest truth was comfort level. Like I shared before, I have never had a child who was adopted in one of my classes in 18 years. And this year we have 6. Three of whom are from Russia. It was these students and their parents that gave me the encouragement to look at Russia. I am so glad I did!

Today meet O. She is now 5 years old (it is the end of PK) and on track or ahead of the game in all areas. She does need some speech help. She comes from Siberia and was adopted around 18 months I believe- maybe closer to two years old. She was tiny, had scabies, had parasites and a host of other diagnosis at referral. Yet, here she is, little miss perfection. She is reading up a storm. Writes independently and draws the most amazing pictures. Everyone loves O.

O has the most amazing family. They probably helped me the most with all the paperwork and running around. Mommy is laid back and has the best sense of humor. They live on a lake and have a home on the beach. Mommy and O both have horses. I think I want her mom to adopt me too!

O was adopted with a baby brother, J. We look forward to having J in our class next year!

1 comment:

Aaron & Dana Craven said...

I love that you are doing this! I can't wait to read more about your students. This is such a great idea and really does help people understand how much potential all these children have with love and a family!!