Aug/Sept Update

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

update

My mother got in safely on Tuesday. Two wonderful expat friends of Ron and Dinia (Paulette and her husband) picked me up and moved my luggage from the Marriott down to our apartment. It is very nice and very big. The location couldn't be better. We are very lucky. If anyone needs a recommendation for a large unit, the Tverskaya Deluxe from Peace Travel is wonderful. It has 2 AC units. The beds look uncomfortable, but actually are very comfy. We have thick curtains to help block the sun out and most of the amenities you would expect. We don't have a dryer, but most Europeans don't have dryers.

I miss American TV. Most of my channels are obviously in Russian. They do have some channels but, I never was the CNN for hours kind of person. You know how you can buy a whole season of Gray's anatomy? Well, I wish I had bought a few of those for shows I have never watched and been able to watch TV like normal.

Yesterday, we went to see Ariana. She was asleep and when my mom looked down at her, she started to cry. At first she was scared and uncertain about my mom, but pretty quickly she warmed up to her and gave her a hug... ah, my little Vidalia onion is begging to show me the layer of her onion that exposes her need for attachment therapy. She now goes to anyone for a hug. In the beginning, the first days we met her, she was like an abuse victim with us- vacant and in her own world- she would come out for her caregivers...it took a lot of time and patience to gain her trust, now she hugs everyone- which is a trap. She also has started her grunting- she wants you to do it for her. She drops something and you get it, even though she is right next to it.. can you say "testing"? She wants everything on her terms and she wants to be in control....sorry chica bonita, the one thing your mama doesn't do is take commands well from anyone (did I hear a collective laugh of agreement out there??) Mommy will take care of you, on mommy's terms. But, I promise I will always love you and keep you safe. But ask your brothers, you can call the shots when you turn 18.

I wish I had my attachment books with me, so anyone who is reading this and wants to remind me of something or share something that I need to keep in mind right now... please post! you can be my very own attachment cliff notes! The test begins tomorrow!!

In other news, Ian and I got the cameras working on Skype and I gave Aidan a tour of my apartment and hung the camera out the window so he could see how it was night time. He even saw an ambulance and 2 street cleaners. What joy for a 3 yr. old boy! It was like heaven to see his face. We had been experiencing technical difficulies, but mom brought me a new camera when she came and Ian is now in Tampa and he has skype that works so we are all set.

If anyone wants to skype me, I am: m.michelle.robson

Paka,
Michelle

2 comments:

Susan said...

How about some good attachment websites for you?
http://www.a4everfamily.org/
http://www.attach-china.org/
http://www.informedadoptions.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=section&id=5&Itemid=41

Over-Caffeinated said...

Huh? It's gotcha day and all I get is a tired old post from Wednesday? I'm off to call Ian for a real-time update!