Aug/Sept Update

Friday, September 26, 2008

The Eve of Ana's Birthday

In a few short hours, my baby girl will be turning 2. On the eve of such a special day in our lives as a family, my mind continues to wander back to the lady on the other side of the world who also shares this special day with me. Ana's biological mother is only 6 years younger than I. I don't know much about her, and what I do know probably is only vaguely near the truth. Stories changed constantly and what I was told doesn't totally match what we read in the papers we have been given. None the less, I do know that she cared for her daughter. She named her Hope and she took her baby home from the hospital and took care of her for 4 months. She did the best that she could do for her and in the end that meant letting her be cared for in an orphanage where she would stay warm and always have food to eat.
Ana was born early, and I don't even know that her bio-mother was aware she was pregnant. What I do know is that 2 years ago from this very moment on the other side of the world a stranger was making my dreams come true. A moment was happening that would tie us together forever. She was making the two of us mothers. Right this very moment as I type, in Russia, it is 5am on Sept. 27th. Soon, her bio mother will wake up and think about her and that special day 2 years ago. I am sure she will wonder where she is and she will have prayers for her. I am sure her heart is filled with regret and longing...........and Hope, just as she named her. Hope that her life would be better. Hope that things would turn around. And, hope today that she is OK. That she is full of joy and happiness. Hope that this day will be special. Hope that someone loves her.
She is a brave woman who is clearly capable of great love. I am looking into our daughter's crib and I appreciate her deeply. I hope she has found peace, happiness and healing. I hope things have turned around for her and her life is filled with love. I hope that the gratitude that we all feel for her can travel from our hearts to her and lift her up.
Dear Lord, please bless Ana's birth mother. Be with her today and always. May she enjoy peace, love and happiness. May she know in her heart the love a family shares with her for their daughter. Heal her body, mind and spirit and bring her great joy. Continue to surround her with angels here on Earth to look out for her. Amen.
Ana, only one perfect person has walked on this Earth and his name was Jesus. The rest of us do our best to live up to his example, but we all fall short. One thing Jesus modeled for us is forgiveness. And, in forgiveness we can open our hearts up to experience love. Ana, yes, your biological mother has made mistakes. Both of your mothers have and will make mistakes. But, we love you. Part of healing yourself will be finding your own way to forgive some day. And, that one singular milestone will probably be the most difficult and mature thing you ever do. Remember on your birthday that she loved you. That she wanted to be able to be a good mother to you. That she had great Hope for you. She would be so proud and so happy to see you now.

3 comments:

Over-Caffeinated said...

Okay, this post should come with a warning to grab a tissue. You nailed it, as usual, in your sweet and wise way!

Happy birthday you lucky little girl... and happy birthday mommy! :)

Tiger & Kar said...

ohmygoodness - - I totally agree with Ondrea. Tissue warning next time, please!

Happy birthday beautiful Ana! You are a very blessed, wonderful and amazing little girl.

Karyn, Norm & Ilya

Karen said...

I love the way you wrote this. Thank you! Like Ondrea said, you nailed it!!
Karen