Aug/Sept Update

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Thanksgiving Week 2008


I will start with a confession.



My body hurts. Not just a little. I mean, I brushed my hair and my head hurt, not to mention my arms. Why, you ask? We took Ariana to Disney World for the first time in her little life AND I am totally out of shape. Not that I have been 'in shape' since college, but now I am aware of how really out of shape one can get. We got to Disney at 2pm. We knew it was going to be a late night so we arrived later thinking this would help the kids (and parents) stay happy longer. We met up with the Terry's. What a treat. Jana and Brack adopted Alex at the same time we adopted Ariana. I remember them getting their referral from the MOE, coming out from court proud parents and just beaming as they held Alex at the embassy. They are really wonderful people and one of the reasons I now LOVE Tennessee, even though I have never been.



They were ending their very long day as we were just beginning. We saw the parade, which Aidan really enjoyed. He got to see Mickey and all the characters in one sitting within 5 minutes of arriving to the park. Check one thing off the list! We rode It's a Small World and Ariana pointed at one thing....the Russia display. Now, what in the world did she recognize about the display?? I have to go back and figure it out. She literally sucked her thumb the entire time except when she pointed to Russia out of the blue. I was STUNNED. I kept waiting for her to point to something else.. the big elephant... the dolls.. maybe a bird...nope... that was the only thing she actually pointed to.



We rode the carousel, which Ariana was so impatient to ride. Waiting was torture. But getting off and saying good bye was worse. I see horse riding in our future. The Terry's bid us farewell. Hats off to them for looking so good after four days of theme parks! We rode Buzz Light Year, did some shopping and went to Hollywood Studios. We pulled up at 7:45 and read that the park closes at 8pm. We were ready to go home, but the parking attendant said the light display would stay on until 9pm, so off we ran. I recommend this to everyone now: Go at 8pm. Right at 8 it was packed. Lots of people getting in their last look, but soon it was empty. From 6-8 there isn't room to put a toddler down. By 8:30 we were running around and dancing in the streets. I got some great photos of the kids. And, the dress she is wearing is a Mommy Made Original. That is right. I am figuring this sewing thing out. People actually took photos of her she looked so adorable. By 9, we had been parking it for 7 hours and we were ready to head home. We changed them into PJs (that brought back Corbin and Collin memories) and headed home. Where were our older two?? Well, they too had been drug to Disney hundreds, possibly thousands of times, as annual pass holders. Now they refuse to go. We burned them out. Who knew it was even possible?!? They found friends to stay with and totally ditched our Christmas at MGM/Hollywood Studios Tradition. Thank goodness we have generation "A" to help satisfy our need for Christmas Spirit.

Now, I am staring at a house that needs a good fire. Really. I was soo behind on keeping up with this house (did I tell you my maid quit?? and due to the money diet I am not looking for a new one yet??) Well, it is official. We are pigs. Slobs. Frat boy want a be's. It is actually that bad. I am so sore I can't even begin to try to clean it up. Let's hope the condemned sign doesn't go up on Sundays. Hopefully, I can dig us out of this mess this week. I am such an Anti-domestic goddess. Or should I say, a "domestic goddess want to be" ..

As for the rest of the week, Thanksgiving was fun. Just the 6 of us. The doctors told us to keep the holidays simple, so we started off with good intentions and made plans to stay home. Of course, Disney is a HUGE no-no in the newly adopted world. I am sure I will be paying that over stimulation price for a while. I did cook the entire turkey dinner. Yep, I used disposable dishes. I was ready for a quick dump into the garbage, just in case it turned out as my food can. No need to loose a perfectly good Pyrex pan to a mistake like 1 Tablespoon of Salt instead of a teaspoon... who needs to ever know??? Fortunately, this year, it was all edible. Not that anyone was clamoring for seconds or thirds. But progress IS progress. My mom is going to come rescue them all for Christmas. Honey Baked Ham, her AMAZING Dressing, yummy cheesy potatoes...mmmmm. That is one of the reasons my family adores her. I missed the yummy gene. Hopefully one of the 4 of them got it. They all got the eating gene for sure.

I am doing such a bad job of keeping up with milestones. I think I am about ready to publish this blog as Ariana's story and move on to a more generic one. It seems rather early, she has so much progress to go, but I don't seem to have the focus that I had. For the holidays at least, I am going to give the whole blog a face lift. We will have to see where the wind blows for January.

Happy December Everyone!

2 comments:

Over-Caffeinated said...

Hey, your other shoe is at my house, with the other 50 single shoes in the closet that don't seem to have mates... are their mates at YOUR house? :)

LOVE the peppermint outfit... did you make that one?

I hope to have Ariana's pants in the mail tomorrow morning, so she can wear them before Christmas! :)

Jana said...

Michelle,It was so great to see you guys. I agree with the in shape thing. My arms, back and neck are not the same since we got Alex. He certaily likes to be held, a lot. Our 50 pound 5 year old thinks he's not getting enough arm time, so he has regressed to being held, too. Loved meeting up with you. Wish our visit could have been longer. May God continue to bless you during this wonderful season and may he continue to grant you serenity (I stopped praying for patience a long time ago!)